Monday, December 22, 2008
****new release list no.199
DVD Sale at Four Star Video! $5 each for used DVD's. Perfect holiday gifts. This sale will last until 2009!
It’s another weird release week in the movie world. In essence, this week’s releases are HAMLET 2, BURN AFTER READING, DEATH RACE and THE WOMEN. However they had us release them early this weekend, and now we have another double batch coming out this week. Of the feature films below, only MY HEART IS MINE ALONE will be available tomorrow Tuesday Dec 23rd. Also available are the kids movies listed, and the television series 10 ITEMS OR LESS, as well as the new additions. The others, GHOST TOWN, BAGHEAD, THE DUCHESS, EAGLE EYE, and RESIDENT EVIL: DEGENERATION are all being released on Saturday, Dec 27th. However, b/c of the holiday, I decided to just send out one email this week and good luck understanding it!
In the immortal words of Mr. Turkentine, Charlie’s teacher in WILLY WONKA, “I've just decided to switch our Friday schedule to Monday, which means that the test we take each Friday on what we learned during the week will now take place on Monday before we've learned it. But since today is Tuesday, it doesn't matter in the slightest. Pencils ready! “
Hey, by the way, happy holidays. Whether you are celebrating a traditional holiday this year or just celebrating the continuation of your corporal existence, celebrate bravely, celebrate warmly and celebrate thankfully. As tough as things seem right now, we are still living in a mostly peaceful environment and continue to be able to survive aboveground! Yeah!
On to some movies…
GHOST TOWN is like the comedic flip side of THE SIXTH SENSE. He sees dead people! But instead of frightening him (Gervais of THE OFFICE and EXTRAS), they annoy him. In that way, they are just like all the living people he knows because everyone annoys him. Well, almost everyone…
In EAGLE EYE, Shia LaBeouf and Michelle Monaghan are on the run from the mean old government with a mysterious lady calling them on their cell phones with instructions generally involving things blowing up. Kaboom!
THE DUCHESS is the latest historic fictobiopic about royalty in all their tight little outfits and their scandalous ways. Starring Ralph Fiennes as the Duke and Keira Knightley as the Duchess.
We’ll be open on Christmas Eve this Wednesday until around 7pm and we will be closed the next day. We will re-open on Friday, Dec 26th at our regular hours. Hope to see you this week.
Love and Kisses,
Ps. I am taking a vote, and I need a show of hands. Who would support a maximum wage? As a part of fixing this totally demented economy I think that we should implement it. Call it a “salary cap”. Call it “compassionate capitalism”. After all, who is worth 6 million a year to do anything? No one…unless you can hit the long ball.
BAGHEAD. AVAIL SAT
Ross Partridge/Steve Zissis.
Directed by the Jay Duplass and Mark Duplass.
* Is it a horror film, a comedy and indie flick? It is hard to classify…The Duplass brothers follow up their debut feature THE PUFFY CHAIR, with this tale of four out of work actors staying in a cabin in the woods who come up with a story that will make them famous about a crazed killer terrorizing people in a cabin in the woods while wearing a bag over his/her head. Ah, but then their little tale becomes real as a real Baghead arrives and begins the terror.
THE DUCHESS. AVAIL SAT ****ALSO IN BLU-RAY****
Keira Knightley/Ralph Fiennes/Charlotte Rampling.
Directed by Saul Dibb.
* The tale of Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire (Knightley) whose unhappy marriage (to Fiennes) casts a sorrowful shadow over the other details of her extravagant and somewhat hedonistic life
EAGLE EYE. AVAIL SAT ****ALSO ON BLU-RAY****
Shia LaBeouf/Michelle Monaghan/Rosario Dawson/Billy Bob Thornton.
Directed by D. J. Caruso.
* Super duper blow em up action flick about a couple of strangers being manipulated by a strange woman’s voice on the other end of their cell phones who appears to know things that seem unknowable. If you dig the huge action blockbusters, than this one is for you. Shia LaBeouf rules…he was great in SURF’S UP!
GHOST TOWN. AVAIL SAT ****ALSO ON BLU-RAY****
Ricky Gervais/Greg Kinnear/Tea Leoni.
Directed by David Koepp.
* Bertram Pincus DDS (Gervais) is a total antisocial, obnoxious turd. That is, until he dies during a routine hospital surgery. Technically he is dead for only seven minutes, but that is long enough for him to be completely altered by the experience. Not that he’s not still a total jerk, but now he sees the dead, too. It’s like THE SIXTH SENSE re-envisioned as a comedy! And, like that other film, the dead want his help. The need resolution. Especially Kinnear’s character, a swarmy adulterer dude whose wife (Leoni) is preparing to remarry to someone he deems unworthy.
MY HEART IS MINE ALONE.
Directed by Helma Sanders-Brahms.
* From Amazon.com: The story of the real-life love affair between Jewish poet Else Lasker-Schueler and Nazi poet Gottfried Benn is told largely through their poetry in this experimental drama scored with improvised music..
RESIDENT EVIL: DEGENERATION. AVAIL SAT
Directed by Makoto Kamiya.
* Zombie animation.
10 ITEMS OR LESS: SEASONS ONE AND TWO.
* It’s kind of like FOUR STAR VIDEO, oops, I mean, THE OFFICE but at a grocery store.
BEETHOVEN’S BIG BREAK.
SKUNK FU: ART OF MONKEY LAUNCHING.
SKUNK FU: ART OF RIVALRY.
............// NEW ADDITIONS//............
LUMIERE & COMPANY.
* From IMDB: 40 international directors were asked to make a short film using the original Cinematographe invented by the Lumière Brothers, working under conditions similar to those of 1895. There were three rules: (1) The film could be no longer than 52 seconds, (2) no synchronized sound was permitted, and (3) no more than three takes. The results run the gamut from Zhang Yimou's convention-thwarting joke to David Lynch's bizarre miniature epic.
* First DVD of the Paul Verhoeven classic about a cyborg cop patrolling Detroit.
* I love Bill Murray…this is our first DVD of this take on A CHRISTMAS CAROL.