Monday, December 1, 2008
****new release list no.195
Hey parents! This Thursday, December 4th, there will be a live puppet show in our backyard screening patio at 4:30pm! Nick Barone Puppets will be performing his show “Tales From The Enchanted Forest”. Here is a link to frequently asked questions about his shows.
Yo, it’s the Chronic (what?) cles of Narnia! PRINCE CASPIAN is in the house. Follow the further adventures of Lucy, Edmond, Peter and Susan as they traverse the mythical terrain of Narnia and battle evil all in the name of Aslan, and the restoration of Prince Caspian himself to his rightful throne – whoop whoop!
In WANTED – James McAvoy and Angelina Jolie play super trained assassins in the employ of Morgan Freeman. Lots of bullets getting bent like Beckham in this one.
In STEP BROTHERS, John C. Reilly and Will Ferrell battle it out for who is the biggest moron in the house. Eventually though, they both realize that if they combine their intelligence (term used loosely) they can make their dreams come true. It’s heartwarming!
All three of these are available on Blu-ray as well as regular DVD. Hey Blu-ray renters – I notice there are more and more of you, and I am upping the quantity of copies I am buying on Blu-ray starting next week with the release of THE DARK NIGHT. Keep giving me feedback on this – I appreciate it!
December marks a new month of Highlighted New Additions to our collection. Actually, this Four Star feature is now happening every two months, but I don’t have a snazzy name for that, so I will just stick with the aforementioned HNA. This month is Shila’s month, and she is bringing a great batch of television to the store (WHAT I LIKE ABOUT YOU, SCRUBS, PSYCH) as well as some stand up comedy (BILL ENGVALL) and a few more editions of DEF POETRY (Seasons 2, 4 and 5). We hope you like them!
Did you buy any movies at my DVD sale last week? I sold about 200 movies last Wednesday and Friday for $6 for one and $10 for two. Wish you had partaken? Catch me anytime in the store this month and I will offer you the same deal. Buy quantity – they make great holiday gifts.
Love and Kisses,
BAM MARGERA PRESENTS: WHERE THE %$@#$ IS SANTA?
Directed by Jon DeVito and Bam Margera.
* One of the jackasses from the JACKASS movie made a movie.
CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: PRINCE CASPIAN.****ALSO IN BLU-RAY****
Ben Barnes/Georgie Henley/William Moseley/Peter Dinklage.
Directed by Andrew Adamson.
* My personal favorite of the original books, PRINCE CASPIAN follows the further adventures of the four Pevensie siblings as one year later they are again pulled from London to the magical and mystical land of Narnia. There, they discover, hundreds of years have passed since their last visit and currently an evil King named Miraz has taken control of the land, much to the dismay of its rightful leader, Prince Caspian. Together, the Pevensie’s and their iconic buddy, Aslan, help to restore order and peace to the land.
Michael Pare/Theresa Russell/James Russo.
Directed by Zia Mojabi.
* Pare continues his spiraling descent into irrelevance – oops, I mean, this is a weird and dark cops and robbers flick set in LA and centering around some mysterious kidnappings.
FLY ME TO THE MOON: 3D.
Kelly Ripa/Nicolette Sheridan/Tim Curry/Christopher Lloyd.
Directed by Ben Stassen.
* It’s kinda like the Russian flies versus the American flies, in this strange tale of a small posse of houseflies who stow away aboard the Apollo 11 headed to the moon.
SHE LIKES GIRLS: 3.
* Eight short films about women and the women who like them.
STEP BROTHERS. ****ALSO IN BLU-RAY****
Will Ferrell/John C. Reilly.
Directed by Adam McKay.
* When an older couple get married, their adult age ne’er do well sons come together as competitive and moronic step brothers. Hijinks follow. I don’t think this is a stoner movie, but I do think it is the kind of comedy that calls for a new Four Star rating system to be, ahem, rolled out. We’ll call them the Green Ratings. Here is a short synopsis: A “one hit” movie is pretty funny! A “two hit” movie is still pretty funny, albeit with maybe more than a few moments of inanity. A “bong hit” movie probably shows most of the funny parts in the trailer. Finally, a “full doobie” film must be properly prepared for, and even then may lead to a gentle nap in the middle. I haven’t seen this one yet (but I probably will tonight), but I’m going to go out on a limb and give it a “full doobie”.
Tao Zhao/Sanming Han.
Directed by Zhang Ke Jia.
* Stilted tale of a town and its inhabitants in flux, as symbolized by the Three Gorges Dam construction and the destruction of the town as a result.
Paul Gross/Tom Skerritt/Greta Scacchi.
Directed by Charles Biname.
* TV movie about Canada becoming annexed by the US!
WANTED.****ALSO IN BLU-RAY****
James McAvoy/Angelina Jolie/Morgan Freeman.
Directed by Timur Bekmambetov.
* McAvoy plays Wesley, a bumbling and lonely clerk living a sad existence mostly consisting of being unfulfilled and humiliated until he meets a fox, or more accurately, Fox (Jolie) who helps him gain confidence by revealing his amazing killing abilities to him and offering him work as an assassin with a team led by the enigmatic Sloan (Freeman). The film is an adaptation of a graphic novel and is basically a super-complicated, shoot em up, action joyride.
THE X-FILES: I WANT TO BELIEVE.
David Duchovny/Gillian Anderson/Amanda Peet.
Directed by Chris Carter.
* Six years after the finale of The X-Files, Mulder and Scully are called back to action, this time to investigate a defrocked pedophiliac priest who claims that God is sending him visions of his crimes. I know, right? But I digress… Severed heads, amputated limbs, perversity, dementia, and all the other things you loved about this TV show are on full display as the paranormal crime fighters slog through many messy messes in an attempt to find truth and do good.
THE BEST OF DR.KATZ: PROFESSIONAL THERAPIST.
* A best of collection of the weird and strangely hysterical animated show.
SNL: THE COMPLETE FOURTH SEASON 1978-1979.
George Carlin/Paul Simon/Rolling Stones/Devo/Frank Zappa/Steve Martin/Van Morrison/Walter Matthau/Peter Tosh/Kate Bush/Rickie Lee Jones/Talking Heads/James Taylor/Blondie/Dylan.
* Are we almost done with all the good seasons here? Should I keep buying these? You tell me.
IN THE GUTTER
John Waters/Stephen Furst.
* A comedic quest to discover what makes us laugh, featuring interviews with many actors and directors.
CURIOUS GEORGE LEADS THE BAND: AND OTHER MUSICAL MAYHEM!
* Georgie-poo and the Imperialist in the Big Yellow Hat!
HEY THERE, IT’S YOGI BEAR
* Original Hanna-Barbera action.
LAND BEFORE TIME: FRIENDS FOREVER
* Or until a meteor hits the earth.
............//HIGHLIGHTED NEW ADDITIONS//............
BILL ENGVALL: HERE’S YOUR SIGN.
* Stupidity is shown no mercy in the stand-up comedy show.
DEF POETRY: SEASONS 2, 4 & 5.
Featuring Jamie Foxx/Erykah Badu/Malcolm-Jamal Warner/Dave Chappelle/Alicia Keys/Kanye West/Common/Mike Epps.
Hosted by Mos Def.
* Stars, super stars, seasoned veterans and virgin poets united. If you don’t like one poet, just skip to the next.
PSYCH: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON.
James Roday/Dule Hill.
* A show about how just being perceptive can make you seem psychic.
SCRUBS: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON.
* Zach Braff and other hotties in this hilarious long running show about the life of doctors.
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT YOU.
Amanda Bynes/Jennie Garth/Simon Rex/Wesley Jonathan.
Created by Wil Calhoun and Dan Schneider.
* I LOVE AMANDA BYNES! A teenager living with her older sister in NYC and all the funny problems that come along with that.