Ich grüße Sie, meine deutschen Brüder und Schwestern! Vielen Dank fürs Lesen!
Lots of interesting films this week, good stuff for the parents, good stuff for the kids.
Ewan McGregor and Jim Carrey play jailbird lovers in I LOVE YOU, PHILLIP MORRIS. Carrey’s character Russell will go to great lengths to spring his man from jail.
TRON: LEGACY is the sequel 28 years later to 1982’s TRON. Jeff Bridges is back as Kevin Flynn, the computer genius who envisions a world inside “the grid” where humanity can evolve and life can be beautiful. Sadly, things went quite wrong in that there grid, and now many years later, Kevin’s son Sam enters the digital word looking to find his father and bring him back to analogville.
LITTLE FOCKERS continues the endless focking saga of the focking Focker family. Ben Stiller and Robert de Niro lead an all-star cast in this goofy situation comedy.
THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER is the latest in the CHRONICLES OF NARNIA series…Lucy and Edmund join Prince Caspian in an aqua adventure on the seas…The heavy duty religious vibe is pretty unavoidable in this one, as Aslan pretty much makes his messianic presence known.
There is also a batch of cool docs, and a nice bunch of older films newly released on Blu-ray. Scroll down for details!
As some of you know, my wife, Amy Shelf, is an estate planning attorney. In addition to her traditional law practice, Amy has developed an innovative way of helping people put together basic estate plans in a group setting for a price that can't be beat. These Workshops make the whole process more accessible and easy to finish - you leave the Workshop with a completed Will, Power of Attorney and Advance Health Care Directive.
Amy is hosting one of these "Panic-Free Estate Planning Workshops" on Saturday, April 16 at Recess Urban Recreation in Potrero Hill. This will be her last scheduled Workshop until the fall, and there are spaces available. To read more about the Workshops go here. You can also sign up online using the link available on that page. If you want to read testimonials from happy (and relieved) Workshop participants, you can go here.
Hey by the way, did you see that Succulence (our sister store) got a nice little write up in Sunset Magazine! Holy cow, right? Pretty exciting news for us. Check it out (page 28 in the April edition).
Alrighty, that’s all folks, hope to see you at the stores.
Love and Kisses,
KenFlix - the only Independent Monthly Subscription Film Renting Service in SF
If you are going to make a monthly commitment, make it a local one.
No due dates. No late fees.
ESUB -One Movie at a time – Two Exchanges a month (3 movies total) – $9.99 + Tax/Month
1SUB - One Movie at a time – Unlimited exchange – $18.99 + Tax/Month
3SUB - Three Movies at a time – Unlimited exchange – $24.99 + Tax/Month
4SUB - Four Movies at a time – Unlimited exchange – $32.99 + Tax/Month
Kevin Spacey/Barry Pepper.
Directed by George Hickenlooper.
* Hickenlooper, who brought us THE MAYOR OF SUNSET STRIP and FACTORY GIRL among others, sadly, died last October after making this film. I am not sure how he died, but I guess it is a sign of the times that I am not surprised that something happened to him. After all, this film is about the rise and spectacular fall of Jack Abramoff, super lobbyist to the rich and republican. Spacey excels in his role as the smug Jack, and Pepper does more than his share as his right hand man. Sadly, Jon Lovitz is in this film, too.
I LOVE YOU, PHILLIP MORRIS.****BD****
Jim Carrey/Ewan McGregor/Leslie Mann.
Directed by Glenn Ficarra and John Requa.
* Jim Carrey is Russell, a heterosexually married cop who decides to throw his carefully constructed life away and accept his homosexuality, which leads him to Miami where he begins to live the good life. Which leads him to crime, to pay for the good life. Which leads him to jail, where eventually, destiny’s hand leads him to the heart of Phillip Morris (McGregor). Russell, who has shown a deep wild streak by then, goes way overboard as he refuses to be separated from his lovey-dovey and will do anything – ANYTHING – to stay together. The laws he breaks are many, and in fact it is hard to stay fully sympathetic to his plight. Ah, but McGregor and Carrey make a sweet couple, and it is enjoyable to watch this mainstream outlaw couple movie about a couple a guys. Not quite as exciting as THE FLUFFER, but with more star power.
Ben Stiller/Robert de Niro/Owen Wilson/Dustin Hoffman/Barbara Streisand/Blythe Danner/Jessica Alba/Laura Dern/Other Fockers.
Directed by Paul Weitz.
* Ah, those little focking fockers. They just keep focking making these movies. They can’t focking stop themselves. It’s like they’re focking blinded by all the focking money they know they can make, no matter how focking stupid the movie might be…Not saying this focking movie is stupid, truth be told, I don’t focking know. But I think these movies are like one long focking episode of THREE’S focking COMPANY over and over again, with a moment of confusion leading to suspicion then to anger and eventually a grudging respect…over and focking over again and again. Ah, fock it. I bought 12 copies, so I guess I focking hope you’ll focking rent it.
Directed by Eyad Zahra.
* The Muslim life in American can be very hard for a young student from Pakistan. Yusef, living in Buffalo while attending engineering school, moves in with a very interesting household. By day, righteous religious prayer fills the living room, but by night, the house becomes a den of hard-cord Muslim Punk rock with non-stop parties that force Yusef to question everything he believes in.
Directed by Joseph Kosinski.
* You probably don’t want my opinion about this one. Just a short suggestion, if you are having trouble with the story or dialogue, turn the sound down and put on the soundtrack to ALICE IN WONDERLAND, they match almost perfectly. No, seriously, though, the images are awesome and there is a certain flavor from the original TRON (made 29 years ago!!!) that lingers, but they basically are cashing in on our memories with this one. If I had made this movie, it would have had the lowest end special effects and almost no dialogue.
THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER: CHRONICLES OF NARNIA.****BD****
Skandar Keynes/George Henley/Ben Barnes/Will Poulter/Tilda Swinton.
Directed by Michael Apted.
* The third movie in the Chonic (what?)cles of Narnia involves Edmund and Lucy and good old Prince Caspian and a daring trip across the waters on the royal ship, The Dawn Treader. I remember this as my favorite book in the series, but I can’t really remember why.
AFTER THE STORM.
Directed by Hilla Medalia.
* Post-Hurricane Katrina, a group of Broadway actors from NY headed down to New Orleans to help local teens by putting on a production with them. This documentary follows their efforts.
Directed by Mark Claywell and Jody Jenkins.
* From the Amazon product description: American soldier. Family man. Jihadist. Isa Abdullah Ali is a person of many identities and contradictions, but in the beginning, he was a bullied young boy growing up in America s capital. At fifteen he joined the American army, and as a young man he converted to Islam and fought alongside the Amal militia and Hezbollah in Lebanon. Though the details of his past are murky, Isa claims to have killed more than 150 people in the fight to defend his faith. Through Isa s own words and those of family members, psychologists and political experts, this award-winning documentary attempts to decode the social and personal influences that can lead an individual down a path to radicalism. American Jihadist reaches beyond easy labels to grasp the nuances behind one man s decision to fight and kill for his religion
............//NEW ON BLU/............
A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE.
* This 2001 Spielberg film about a little robot who wants to be real probably looks pretty amazing on the high-def.
THE LONG KISS GOODNIGHT.
* 1996 action flick starring Geena Davis and Samuel L. Jackson.
* Lili Taylor, Julia Roberts and Annabeth Gish had big early roles in their careers starring in this 1988 coming of age story set in Mystic, Connecticut.
* This is the original one, that we had such a crazy waiting list for a few months ago...
CHUGGINGTON: CHUGGERS TO THE RESCUE.
SESAME STREET: WILD WORDS AND OUTDOOR ADVENTURES.
* I know, right…a little late for the mad rush…Ah, well, it was $150 on Amazon five months ago, in anticipation of this new edition…