Monday, December 27, 2010

****new release list no.300


I hear it was beautiful in SF this weekend – me, I just got feeling in my face again after doing two full face dives into a huge pile of snow in the middle of the road outside my father-in-law’s apartment in Brooklyn! Oh. My. God! It is the Great Blizzard of 2010! There are cars just stopped in the middle of roads and completely snowed in. Huck and Trudy sank into snow nearly up to their waists. It is a true Winter Wonderland here. Super fun!

We just missed all the snow cancellations, and we know many people who got stuck on their holiday travels all over the country (and the world). We got super lucky and eked our way in just before the storm came. We had many travel plans ourselves all around the East Coast, but as of now, because the roads are completely closed where we are, it is hot meals, Scrabble, books and more Scrabble – in between snowball fights for us Shelves. A truly epic vacation.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch – hey, thanks for all the responses from last week’s outpouring of honesty from me. I figure I owe you all for the therapy session, and I thank those of you who gave me all sorts of good advice and ideas. Interestingly, the blog got picked up by Bernalwood, a new blog about the BH, which I have enjoyed reading this week. Hey people, If you read my blog, or chat with me at the store (or anywhere else you encounter me) you know I’m committed to the store and to you, my friends and neighbors (and you know I probably should be committed). No matter what the future holds, I am gung-ho for life in 2011, and I look forward to whatever will be!

I was sad not to get to watch THE AMERICAN this weekend. Starring my good pal, Clooney, it is the tale of an assassin who kicks it in the Italian countryside for a wee bit after his last job has an unpredictable ending (I hear the opening scene is a doozy). While there, he gets another job building a weapon for someone, and meets a beautiful woman to pass the glorious time there with. And who can blame him? He’s Cloons!

Also out this Tuesday is RESIDENT EVIL: AFTERLIFE, the next in the Milla Jovovich series about evil corporations, robotic assassins and hot models kicking ass. I haven’t seen any of these films, but I love Milla.

Finally making it to the shop last week was EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP. Ostensibly a documentary about the art world by the secret artist Banksy, many suggest it is more like the Joaquin Phoenix doc I’M STILL HERE in that it is a hoax wrapped in a parable wrapped in a poignant message. I didn’t see it yet, so I can’t comment. I am also not sure if there is any truth to the rumor that Banksy is going to be the guest speaker at a Four Star Video event in early February (or late January) about street art and viral group art experiences. Be sure to keep checking in the space for a chance to attend this very special event.

TWELVE is an indie film starring millions of actors (Chase Crawford/Emma Roberts/50 Cent/Rory Culkin/Ellen Barkin/Kiefer Sutherland), about a young drug deal getting over his head with his dealer and a new substance just hitting the streets.

Did you dig the new television show THE UNITED STATES OF TARA about a woman with multiple personalities trying to make it work with her husband and kids? Season two is here this week, too.

I’m out, yo’s. In the NYC for a couple weeks. I’ll send another New Release list next week if I am near a computer. I’d keep writing now, but the snow drifts blowing by the window of the room I am in are boggling my mind with their beauty.

Love and Kisses,
Ken


******************************************************************************
KenFlix - the only Independent Monthly Subscription Film Renting Service in SF
If you are going to make a monthly commitment, make it a local one.
No due dates. No late fees.

ESUB -One Movie at a time – Two Exchanges a month (3 movies total) – $9.99 + Tax/Month
1SUB - One Movie at a time – Unlimited exchange – $18.99 + Tax/Month
3SUB - Three Movies at a time – Unlimited exchange – $24.99 + Tax/Month
4SUB - Four Movies at a time – Unlimited exchange – $32.99 + Tax/Month
******************************************************************************

............//NEW RELEASES//............

THE AMERICAN.****BD****
Thriller/Drama/Romance.
Cloons.
Directed by Anton Corbijn.
* Slow moving thriller about a hitman in the Italian countryside waiting for the heat to blow over and getting involved in a new mysterious job.

HANDSOME HARRY.
Action.
Aiden Quinn/Steve Buscemi/Scott Campbell.
Directed by Bette Gordon.
* An old Vietnam vet revisits a horrible crime he committed with some old comrades.

LEGENDARY ASSASSINS.
Action/Martial Arts/Foreign (Cantonese).

RESIDENT EVIL: AFTERLIFE.
Action/Horror.
Milla Jovovich/Ali Larter/Wentworth Miller/Sienna Gillory.
Directed by Paul Anderson.
* I think this is number 4 in the tale of Alice Abernathy (Jovovich), freedom fighter against the evil Umbrella Corporation in this sci-fi, horror zombie film series.


TWELVE.
Drama.
Chase Crawford/Emma Roberts/50 Cent/Rory Culkin/Ellen Barkin/Kiefer Sutherland.
Directed by Oliver Stone.
* A young privileged weed dealer gets in heavy with his dealer when he starts selling a new powerful drug.

............//DOCUMENTARY/............

EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP.
Documentary/Art.
Directed by Banksy.
* I’m really not sure what to say about this film, maybe just that is about someone making a film about art who then has the camera turned on him, to hilarious results. There has been a lot of talk about this film. Maybe, maybe too much talk. This film, is not a rebel film, this film is EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP.

............//TELEVISION/............

THE UNTED STATES OF TARA: THE SECOND SEASON.
Television/Comedy/Drama.
Toni Collette/Brie Larson/John Corbett.
* Tara is dealing with multiple personalities while also trying to maintain a household with two kids and a husband. It seems to me having some multiple personalities might help with that management.

............//KIDS/............

A CHARLIE BROWN VALENTINE.

BOB THE BUILDER: THE GOLDEN HAMMER MOVIE.

FIREMAN SAM: READY FOR ACTION.

............//NEW ADDITIONS/............

GOING TO PIECES: THE RISE AND FALL OF THE SLASHER FILM.
* This is a 2006 documentary about the slasher films of the 80’s and 90’s.

SUCK.
* A comedy about a band struggling to make it who gets bit by a vampire who helps change their fortunes.

****

No comments: