Friday, December 21, 2007
****new release list no.147
Its cold, and its late December, which kinda means, it’s movie time. It turns out that we have 8 new releases for you this Friday, December 21st, for some unknown reason probably having something to do with Christmas They are on the shelves, even as I type.
Before I get to them, however, I want to re-cap a few of the newer movies I have seen in the last couple weeks. So, scroll down if you are not interested in some cinematic rambling. First off, THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM. It’s a one emotion film (anxiety), but it has that emotion down real well. There’s a lot of fast cut, MTV-style editing, meant to mimic the action of the characters. Some of that is a little nauseating, but all in all, I thought this film was a total joyride. It’s funny thinking about this edition of Matt Damon hanging out with Ben Affleck. I wonder what they talk about? Who knows, maybe Matt and Ben aren’t pals anymore. Somehow, that seems sad. Next, SAINT CLARA. This is the little Israeli film that we mentioned is about a Junior High School love story with a girl who has telekinetic powers. Yeah, that’s true, but it’s so much more. It’s like HEATHERS meets GUMMO meets REPO MAN directed by John Hughes’s very strange European cousin. It is a fascinating kids vs. The Man type story, with the kids being self-possessed and not afraid of the man at all. Especially lingering with me is the image of a hanging and burning full size sculpture of Golda Meir. These kids are punk rock. This movie is not for the traditional lot. Another recent one I saw was ONCE, the rock and roll musical tale of a couple of musical artists sharing their love for music during a mutually lonely moment. Oh, I can’t say enough about this film. You must watch it. It is such a nice movie with power and strength and longing and MUSIC! It really is great. Four stars!!!! Lastly, THE NAMESAKE, a film based on the book of the same name. First off, I loved the book. It is amazing. Don’t bother with the film, just go right now down to Red Hill Books and buy yourself a nice little holiday gift of this incredible tale of a family from India living in the Northeast in America from the 1970’s to the present time. It will leave you feeling full of life and joyful, even in the presence of sorrow and dysfunction.
Okay, so what’s on tap? Well, we’ve got THE KINGDOM, RUSH HOUR 3, PARDISE TEXAS, EASTERN PROMISES, INTIMATE AFFAIRS, THE HEARTBREAK KID, THE BROTHERS SOLOMON and MEN IN THE NUDE. Everything you could want for Christmas. We also have a slew of new television acquisitions, including INSPECTOR LYNLEY SET 4, THE FORSYTE SERIES 1, and more. Capping this moments new DVD’s to the store are about ten separate titles of the children’s movies series featuring KIPPER. This is something we heard about and wanted to stock up on, so we hope your kids dig it. Give us feedback!
A couple other pieces of store news: We are having a used DVD sale from Friday, Dec 21 through Monday, Dec 24th. Buy one for $8 (plus tax) and get one free! We have about 60-80 titles and about 200 total movies to sell. So get your inexpensive holiday gifts here.
Also, we had another slight shift in the movie arrangement. Back in the New Release area, we pulled all the New Release Television out of the New Release Movies and split them up. They are all still in the back room, and there are some handy-dandy signs that should point everything out to you, but as always, please ask anyone for help if you can’t find what you are looking for.
Ken and Amy
THE BROTHERS SOLOMON.
Will Arnett/Will Forte.
Directed by Bob Odenkirk.
* I am not sure what this is about, but I think it is the kind of comedy that compares itself to DUMB AND DUMBER (which was humorously hard for me to type). The tagline to this flick is “They want to put a baby in you.”
Viggo Mortensen/Naomi Watts.
Directed by David Cronenberg.
* Did you catch this film in the theatres? All summer, it seemed, I heard about a very intense scene in a Turkish bath. It is in this film, where a pair of Chechen heavies do their best to take Nikolai (Mortensen) out. I have not seen this film, but I have seen my share of Cronenberg’s creations. His hard eye and penchant for unhappy endings (figuratively, not literally – though maybe literally, too) pack a punch that is usually felt everywhere. This film follows Mortensen’s character plod methodically through the painfully dark underworld of London.
THE HEARTBREAK KID.
Ben Stiller/Michelle Monaghan.
Directed by Peter Farrelly and Bobby Farrelly..
* It was Charles Grodin and Cybill Shepherd in the original. Different times. Original screenplay by Neil Simon.
Dermot Mulroney/Julie Delpy/Robin Tunney/Neve Campbell/Nick Nolte/Terrence Howard/Tuesday Weld.
Directed by Alan Rudolph.
* This flick was originally called INVESTIGATING SEX when it came out in 2002. An all-star cast play some men and women scientifically (just like you) studying sex.
Jamie Foxx/Chris Cooper;/Jason Bateman/Jennifer Garner.
Directed by Peter Berg.
* Super action flick about agents investigating a massacre of Americans living on a compound in Saudi Arabia. Shila saw it, she said it was awesome.
MEN IN THE NUDE.
Laszlo Galffi/David Szabo/Eva Kerekes.
Directed by Karoly Esztergalyos.
* Twisting plots involving thieving and prostituting street kids mark this love tale of a Hungarian writer who falls for a young androgynous teenage boy.
Timothy Bottoms/Meredith Baxter/Ben Estus/Sheryl Lee.
Directed by Lorraine Senna.
* Indie film about a middle aged actor struggling to reconnect with his wife, his kids and himself.
RUSH HOUR 3.
Chris Tucker/Jackie Chan.
Directed by Brett Ratner.
* Part 3 in the action series starring Chan and Tucker.
INSPECTOR LYNLEY SERIES 4.
Sharon Small/Nathaniel Parker.
* Series 4 of this very popular mystery series. We missed this one and season 5 as well, but now we are all caught up. Season 6 will be coming soon.
INSPECTOR LYNLEY SERIES 5.
Sharon Small/Nathaniel Parker.
KIPPER HELPS OUT.
KIPPER – AMAZING DISCOVERIES.
KIPPER – FRIENDSHIP TALES.
KIPPER – FUN IN THE SUN.
KIPPER – IMAGINE THAT.
KIPPER – LET IT SNOW.
KIPPER – PLAYTIME IN THE SUN.
KIPPER - POOLS PARKS AND PICNICS.
KIPPER - PUPPY LOVE.
KIPPER - TIGER TALES.
ALLEGRO NON TROPPO.
X FILES: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON
SNL: SEASON TWO.
Another copy, I guess it was on backorder.
THE FORSYTE SAGA: SEASON ONE.